Monday, May 2, 2011

For the Love of Libraries


Many years ago, I had the opportunity to work in the public library of my small Muskoka town.  Over the three-month work term I shelved books, helped with the children's reading circle, exercised my creativity and made friends.  I also got distracted with all the different books one could read.  There were just not enough hours in the day!  

I look back at that time with fond memories.   

In my novel, the public library was one of the places where Sera could seek comfort, familiarity and through reading - escape.  In her topsy-turvy world, she appreciated how it could also provide a sense of order.

~ ~ ~
Excerpt:

   Sera stood with an armful of books in front of the metallic shelves.  Ms. Perkins, the librarian was so pleased to have this girl helping out.  She could finally get caught up on her crossword puzzles. 

   Sera stood in the first aisle, re-shelving and re-organizing books on philosophy and religion.

   100 for Philosophy and Psychology.  She put three books back in their proper order.

   200 for Religion.  Two more books back into their proper place.

   She liked the feeling of order.  That Dewey guy must have had a lot of time on his hands.  I like this.  Things make sense here.  Every book has a place in relation to other books and topics.  It keeps my mind busy. 

   While she was in her trance, sorting and re-shelving, she didn't hear her Aunt enter the library.   A few of the teenaged boys who were studying at the tables turned to watch the attractive copper-haired woman as she peeled off her fur coat and strutted down the aisles of book cases.  Georgette thought to herself, I can't remember the last time I was in a library!  I like the hardwood floor though.  Reminds me of my dance studio days....

   Sera emerged from her trance by the sound of click, click heels making a steady tap dancing like sound on the hardwood floors.  She turned and smiled as she saw her aunt round the corner of shelves towards her. 

   "Aunt Georgette!" she exclaimed, "What are YOU doing in a library?"

  "Very funny, ma chérie.  I have been known to read a book or two, you know."

   "Sure..." Sera smiled as she slid the last book into its place and whispered,  "But really.. is everything okay?"
~ ~ ~
End excerpt

No comments:

Post a Comment